CANADIAN SPORT FILM FESTIVAL
A PASSION FOR BOTH
SPORT AND FILM
The Canadian Sport Film Festival (CSFF) aims to educate, inform, engage, and entertain communities throughout Canada using film to share powerful personal and political stories about the impact of sport.
The Canadian Sport Film Festival is committed to provoking dialogue on the power of sport to inspire social change.
The Canadian Sport Film Festival (CSFF):
- Educates, informs, engages and entertains communities throughout Canada using film to share powerful personal and political stories about the impact of sport.
- Showcases international films and filmmakers not typically screened of widely available.
- Provides a safe environment for critical analysis and discussion about stories and themes represented in CSFF films.
- Promotes physical activity as a means to achieve long-lasting health benefits to both body and mind.
- Engages youth using film and sport in innovative and collaborative workshops.
- Exposes filmgoers to the stories beyond the scoreboard, behind the camera and told with a critical lens.
In 2008 the Canadian Sport Film Festival was conceptualized and founded by Russell Field out of his passion for both sport and film – a passion reflected in his work as assistant professor at the University of Manitoba, where he teaches the course “Sport, Film, and Society.”
Russell is a past film review editor for the Journal of Sport History. His knowledge of the international landscape of sport film ensures the Canadian Sport Film Festival includes a selection of provocative films from around the world. Born out of a desire to expose the power of sport and film Canadian Sport Film Festival events are organized by committed volunteers and engage Canadians from coast to coast to coast.