Canadian Sport Film Festival - Regulations
The Canadian Sport Film Festival (CSFF) is now accepting film submissions online for our 15th annual film festival.
Films on the theme of sport produced since January 2021 may be submitted for festival consideration until May 1, 2023.
- Submit your film to CSFF on Film Freeway.
- Submitting a film to the Canadian Sport Film Festival implies you have read and accept the Regulations below
Focus: Submissions to the Canadian Sport Film Festival (CSFF) should be films about sport and may explore or reflect the CSFF mission, purpose and themes below:
- To provoke dialogue on the power of sport to inspire social change
- To redefine the role of sport in society
- To affirm ethical values in sport
- To normalize equity, diversity and inclusion
- To demonstrate the social value of sport
- To update and expand the existing sport narrative
- To inspire social change through the universal language of sport
Date of production: Films must be completed after January 1, 2021 unless solicited by, or having received the approval of, the Canadian Sport Film Festival. Projects previously submitted to the Festival and not programmed will not be reconsidered.
Language: Films must be in English or have English sub-titles
- Documentary feature
- Documentary short
- Fiction (narrative) feature
- Fiction short
- Animated feature
- Animated short
- Feature films are 40 minutes or longer.
- Short films are less than 40 minutes.
Awards and prizes:
The Canadian Sport Film Festival (CSFF) is a non-competitive film festival.
Entrants will be notified of the decision regarding their film by July 14, 2023.
For selected films, the Festival pays screening fees of $200 CDN for a feature film and $50 CDN for a short film.
Filmmakers of some selected productions will be invited to the Festival and will be the Festival’s guests, including accommodation and/or transportation.
Entry Fees and Deadlines
Entry fee – until April 10, 2023
Entry fee – until May 1, 2023
Short films (under 40 minutes), all categories
Features (40 minutes or longer), all categories
Submissions will only be considered complete once all required details have been submitted and entry fees are paid.
- Notification: Entrants will be notified of the decision regarding their film by July 14, 2023. No selected film or video may be withdrawn from the Festival.
- Screening fees: The Festival pays screening fees of $200 CDN for a feature film and $50 CDN for a short film. For non-Canadian productions, PayPal is the Festival’s preferred method of payment. NB: wire transfers will not be sent for fees of less than $200.
- Promotion: The Festival and its media partners reserve the right to use excerpts of the production (up to five minutes), and to reproduce photos of the production, for promotion and publicity purposes.
- Filmmaker attendance: Filmmakers of some selected productions will be invited to the Festival and will be the Festival’s guests, including accommodation and/or transportation.
Shipping and Responsibility
The Canadian Sport Film Festival prefers to screen from digital, projection-quality screeners.
All shipping and related costs for exhibition films/videos sent to the Festival must be borne by the owner.
Each film/video sent to the Festival is entered in Canada on a temporary duty free and GST exempt basis, which means that all films must leave Canada following the Festival. To prevent delays and duty at customs, please:
- Mark all packages with “Film/Video for Festival to be returned to owner – No Commercial Value”.
- Include an invoice containing title of film, format, and fair market value (cost of print only)
All exhibition videos and film prints will be returned by regular mail (unless specified otherwise and paid by the entrant).
The Festival is not responsible in case of accidental damage or loss of entries, except when in the Festival’s possession.
Liability: in case of loss or damage to a print, the obligation of the Festival is limited to compensating the filmmakers for the cost of making a new print.
The Festival has the power to decide on any matters not specifically dealt with in these regulations. Participation in the Festival implies acceptance of these regulations. In any dispute, the decision of the Festival will be final.